It is a Grade II listing building.
Prominently situated at the South end of the town, on the west side of Prince Street, opposite the junction with Ivor Street.
The building dates from 1937 and it is similar in design to, although larger than the Post Office at Blackwood.
The exterior is roofed Queen Anne Revival building, on a rectangular plan with extensions to rear. Symmetrical 2 storey, 5 windows, main façade, with roughcast render, dressed stone quoins and marble plinth.
All the windows are squared-headed sashes with horned small-pane glazing. Hipped roof is of a conspicuous Cumbrian green slate.
At ground, the pigmented doorways has a ‘Gibbs Surround’, the keystone of which is inscribed “GR 1937”. The six panel wooden door has a rectangular fanlight with decorative glazing bars. Above the pediment the words “POST OFFICE” are in relief white lettering.
Far right ground floor window drops to ground level at its centre and has a clock face set into his upper sash.
Deep wooden eaves cornice with dentils.
In the interior many of the internal fittings remain on the ground floor.
Unfortunately the polychrome tiled flooring was severely damage and it had to be removed and covered with carpet. But you can still see the original tiles at the Blaenavon Museum.
The mahogany service counter which originally ran the length of the ground floor has been reused across the width.
Service hatches and doorways to sorting offices remains as does the GPO mahogany clock which had been repaired and serviced.
It is listed as a good example of an inter-war Post Office.
This is how we found it:
In order to keep the character of the building we did restore all the mahogany woods and recreated the service counter.
As service counter recreations we did use a photo form the Knightsbridge Post Office and a Counter scene at Canning Town Branch Office. Photos from “The Postal Museum” (https://www.postalmuseum.org)
Description based on CADW (Welsh Historical Monuments) Ref. N: 35/A/19(12)
A special Traffic Light:
On the right side of the building there is the entrance to the garage for the Royal Mail deliveries van.
The traffic light at the intersection of Prince Street, Church Rd, Commercial Street and Ivor Street has a special light for that entrance.
Even if the Royal Mail is not delivering anything now, as the building is not any more a Post Office, the traffic light is still working as it had been from the beginning.
The friendly old Postmaster:
Some people say that it is possible to hear strange noises during the night, when the Post Office is closed. They say it is one of the old Postmasters who came to do his job. But, not to worry, it is a friendly ghost.
The clock is working:
We only need to remember to wind it up every week.